Saturday, July 11, 2009

Adventures in New York

I arrived in New York yesterday around 6 p.m. I spent the first hour driving around with my professor and his pup Hershey, then we took a quiet walk down Pier 1. What a perfect beginning! I couldn't help but think of Sex and the City. My wife, Adrienne, and I are completely addicted to it...when is the second movie coming out again :)

We then headed back to his lovely home near the Lincoln Center, which he explained didn't used to be blocked by the towering Trump Place buildings. I can't imagine, beyond the intrigue of money, why anybody would want to build such mammoth buildings and not a beautiful park!? :)

I just got off the phone with my son, Ethan, and he told me he was drawing caterpillars, then immediately said goodbye...he has his priorities you know :)

I saw a production of Chekhov's Ivanov in Hungarian with English supertitles by the Katona Jozsef Theatre Company. I can't say I completely enjoyed the show, and yet I am sure I would have if I understood Hungarian and were sitting in the Orchestra rather than the balcony. By the second act, I was enjoying myself, and as I look back on the experience, it was the best foreign production I have seen to date.

Today I will be adventuring over to the Morgan Library and Museum to see an exhibit entitled: Creating the Modern Stage: Designs for Theater and Opera. I am very excited about it!! After this exhibit visit is over, then I will attempt a journey to Purchase, NY to see "E-Cyclorama" at the Neuberger Museum. Another fantastic exploration of color and light!

Here's to exploration, adventure, and getting lost!!!

No comments: