Friday, July 17, 2009

John McKernon's Lightwright4


Not my file...but this will help you get the idea about the great resource John McKernon has developed for lighting designers!

I have been focusing my energy today on updating my Lightwright4 files for Come Back Little Sheba by William Inge. My advisor for this next year, Traci Klainer, has given me a couple of her Lightwright files and a test file for Sea Changers to study and practice with. I must say it has been quite a lot of work to go in and add the attributes of the Sea Changer, and I will have to do the same for my Selador instruments later.

When I first started designing lights about 8 years ago, it was all about hanging a light and hoping it made an interesting look or effect. Now, my eyes are being blown open by a hurricane of information from Vectorworks and Lightwright to production concepts and collaboration with teams of 10 or more people. It just doesn't compare to the education I received at Westmont, and yet that experience was seeped in the creative and artistic aspects of theater and art that you just can't get anywhere else.

Not only has it been exciting to get to know these programs and begin to create work that has a comprehensive paper trail, but I have been able to build basic relationships with those that I work with and with those that provide the products for my success. Like the PR Gal over at Nemetschek, NA branch who recently commented on an older post with some wonderful encouragement!

After reviewing the files that Traci Klainer gave to me, I have concluded that I still have leaps and bounds to make before I can consider myself ready for the lighting design industry. The best part of this education is that no matter how much I learn, I will always be able to learn more and help continue to push the theatrical art world into the 21st century! Here's to learning and sharing what we learn with the next generation!

No comments: