Sunday, June 13, 2010

Keep Reading

Since beginning my studies at UMass, Amherst, I have been slowly whittling away at a reading list. Last week I added an anthology to my list in order to prepare for a class I am taking next semester. It is the Norton Anthology of Drama Vol. I.

So far it looks a bit intimidating. A thick book full of not just stories (plays), but history, facts, and details about these stories, their authors, their culture, politics, society, and more (at least from what I gather after reading a few pages of the introduction).

I wonder what other kinds of reading I will find myself seeped in next year. After all, I never expected to read what I have read this past year. Each time I make a reading list more gets added to it, and I find myself piling up books on my shelf that someday I hope to engage beyond the first chapter or act.

The worst part about pushing ahead with reading is the constant state of drowsiness I feel after reading for more than 10 minutes straight. Perhaps someday this will go away, but somehow I don't think that's going to happen this year. One solution...read standing up. Another solution...drink far too much coffee...

No comments: