Friday, October 2, 2009

Developing the Design

Yesterday, our production team met during our weekly scheduled hour. I had been anticipating this meeting with great excitement and hopes for a wonderful conversation. I got more than I bargained for...!

Last week, I had made a decision to move away from my original design ideas. I had decided not to use fluorescent lights throughout the entire space, and to only use them for the audience lighting. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to pass them as safe, that I wouldn't have as much control of them as I would like, and that they would not be capable of being smoothly integrated into the cuing process. As a result of this decision, I designed a lighting system that would support the idea of a fluorescent lit world. I am very happy that I did this, because now that I am moving back to the fluorescent lighting idea, I have both fluorescent lights and a system that will support them. I should mention that one of my advisers couldn't have met with me at a more perfect time. She was able to encourage me and drive me forward with my design and to put my fears aside, go with my instincts, and light the world of the play.

During the meeting, I was met with encouragement to place the fluorescent lights wherever I wanted to, and that we would find the ways necessary to make them safe. I was also met with very little frustration at the idea of using them, regardless of how much control I would have of them. In fact, people were more than willing to suggest ways to paint/dress them in a way that would integrate them into the world more, and to wait and see just how much control we could achieve with them as we begin to use them in the space.

Currently, I have planned for five 8 foot fluorescents and five 4 foot fluorescents to be used in the set. I have a total of fourteen 8 foot fluorescents and seven 4 foot fluorescents to use in total.


Here is an image of the set before we make any changes...

Last night, after our production meeting the scenic designer proposed a bold change to the set that would use the fluorescents to there max. He suggested that we get rid of the current set as it exists (about 8 beams or so spread out throughout the space) and build a fluorescent light installation. I am of course very excited about this idea. I am, however, a little concerned that if we get rid of the beams entirely that we will lose much of what makes these fluorescents work so well. They work in the design because of the scenic elements that I am installing the fluorescents to. I want to attach fluorescents to the existing architecture in the theater as well as the existing beams in the set as it exists. If we don't use the beams, then I think it would be to our benefit if we stick to shaping the existing architecture. The fluorescents work best as they are, if they are highlighting edges, shapes, and actors from unnatural angles and directions.

At any rate, I am very excited about getting into the space today, focusing the rep-plot for the Curtain Theater, and then beginning to install the fluorescents in places that I think they will be most effective. Then, on Saturday morning, Dennis (scenic designer) and I will continue to explore the most effective configurations of these fluorescent lights. I can't wait to see in the full scale model where he might be thinking of placing them.

No comments: