Wednesday, March 4, 2009

When We Dead Wake

I have been working on a play by Henrik Ibsen, one of my favorite playwrights. When We Dead Wake was the last play he wrote, although he did not intend for it to be his last play :(

Here are a few thoughts I have had as I prepare for my presentation on Friday...

Imagine a man and a woman...husband and wife who become pregnant with their first child. They go through all the joys of pregnancy and the gestational period, yet after nearly 20 hours of labor the result is not a beautiful, warm, crying child, but a deformed, cold, lifeless and silent child. The realization that the pregnancy resulted in nothing more than death and memories causes a slow, painful, and twisted awakening for those involved, dragged in, and looking on...

Now, imagine the audience walks in to this pure white, crisp, clean set with Maja and Rubek set in a tableau... By the time the audience is settleed Maja and Rubek have changed slowly into various tableaus. As their dialogue reaches their first mention of death we have slowly brought in a mild hint of a dull cool blue on the set behind them out of their direct view.

Please visit again as I continue to develop these ideas...I hope to have the rest of my presentation complete before it is due this Friday. Any thoughts???

(For images of my inspiration for living sculptures you may go to Project 4 work by Jenna McCracken; for images of my inspiration for the set you may go to Project 4 work by Alex Gutierrez; for images of my inspiration for the tone and feeling of each act, as well as, some basic color pallettes you may go to Charles Cramer's site and observe specifically his Yosemite images; and to listen to the music I have chosen to inspire me you may listen to "I Touch Myself" by Divinyls.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the crispness and coldness of the white, stark light. I often think about how geography shapes art and plays. Anyway, your description reminded me of that, and how far north Norway is...